Today I received a request from the Chartered Management Institute to pledge my support for their Manifesto for a Better Managed Britain. You may click here to download the PDF but the pledges requested are:
- We pledge to make the development of effective mangers and leaders a national priority.
- We pledge to develop professional management and leadership skills in the public sector
- We pledge to develop professional managers and leaders in our organisation.
- We pledge to foster a culture in which managers and leaders are competent and accountable.
- I pledge to demonstrate professionalism in the way I manage and lead setting an example for others.
- I pledge to develop my management and leadership skills throughout my working life
Regular readers might well guess my reaction to this, but I thought that, for once, I would keep my opinions to myself and rather research what others think. Accordingly I would like to know:
- Whether you think there is a need for such an initiative
- Whether you would be willing to make the pledge applicable to you as they stand
- Why you feel that you would or wouldn't make your own pledge
- Your own suggestions for appropriate pledges - either improving these or adding your own, including covering any issues that you think are missing.
Consequently, I am setting up a competition for the best comments, and by best I mean the ideas that are most constructive and will be most likely to change the workplace as we currently know it - for the better. While the context is British, the principles are universal, and thus there will be no geographical restrictions - all entries are welcome.
The competition will close on 13th October 2009 in order to allow me the time to consolidate the ideas mooted and incorporate them into my own response to the CMI, although naturally comments will still be welcomed after that. I will publish the name of the author of the winning entry (as judged by me) on this page as soon as possible around that time, and (upon receipt of their contact details) send him/her a free copy of my book "Lean Organisations Need FAT People." My judgment will be final.
Enjoy the challenge. I look forward to your comments.